February 21, 2012

Is England really the best Test team in the World?

A familiar site of late. Expect to
see more of this in the near future.

No. Of course not. They may be ranked the number one side in the world for the time being but they are not a very good side. Until you beat a good side away from home, you can’t say you are the best. Yes, they beat Australia in the Ashes but Australia put out their worst team in more than two decades. I would bet that the return Ashes in England next year are a lot closer. They just lost 3-0 against Pakistan at a neutral venue. They have yet to travel to India/South Africa, where these are the other two best sides in the world.

I will agree that England is better than India. India is at a crossroads, similar to where Australia were two years ago. They have a lot of aging stars and it is difficult to drop anyone of that stature (Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman). India is a woeful travelling side and seems more intent on T20 cricket than their test team. I still do not think that England would win a test series in India but if they played on neutral ground, I think England would have the better chance of winning.

It is impossible to say that England is better than South Africa though. South Africa have a much superior batting line-up to that of England, their captain is not named Andrew Strauss (why he is still the Test captain only Andy Flower knows), and their bowling is just as good as the England team. When they tour England later this year, I think they will at least draw the series. They bat really well in all conditions, their ground fielding is fantastic, and they are a very competitive team.

The South African team celebrating. A preview of the
2012 English summer perhaps.
I would like to see the current England team take a tour of New Zealand. I would be surprised if they would win that series. I think their batsmen would struggle mightily and the pitches in NZ would nullify the threat of Graeme Swann. If England are really the best team in the world, they must travel overseas to these difficult places (not West Indies/Sri Lanka/UAE), and beat teams in their own backyard.

I think in two years’ time that England will be lucky to be in the top three teams in the world. Expect mediocrity to hit the England test team...again.

1 comment:

  1. Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could
    add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.
    I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.
    Also see my website > Marc Primo Pulisci

    ReplyDelete